Sunday, September 11, 2005

Images: Tourist in NOLA

A tourist put together a 197-photo slideshow that runs from the day before Katrina to the fourth day of the disaster. It was featured by Digby in this post. From Digby:

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. This slide show of the destruction of the city from the beginning of the hurricane until the photographer managed to finally get out on day four is spectacular. Look all the way through it. It's great. When he finally realized that he would have to evacuate from the city he went to the convention center with a friend as authorities told him to do. And when he got there he saw long lines of people. This is the caption to his picture:


My jaw dropped and a sudden state of fear grasped my body. However, I maintained utter calmness. It was obvious that they were NOT going to help these people evacuate any time soon. They had been forgotten and obviously and shamelessly ignored. And it was evident that Andy and I were merely two specs of salt in a sea of pepper. Not only would we have to wait forever, but more than anything, we would probably suffer dire conditions after it would be obvious that we wouldn't "fit in". It was clear to me that we would have to find another way out. We left the Convention Center and my first intuition is to walk around the city. I wanted to clear my head, but I also had a weird and crazy plan in mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

This post duplicates this one. Also, it unfortunately looks like the photo album has been moved or taken down.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home